Saturday 19 May 2007

Podcasting as a communication tool?

At the MA Conference went to this useful session about podcasting - seems acheivable and I'm wondering if using sound files that answer audience research questions might be another form of giving information via a q&a? In response to your query about how audience research is used in a museum it could be interesting to interview people about their use of research or projects they've worked on and then post this as an easy way to capture and distribute information rather than having to write it out? Might be a useful student resource - once I get the right equipment you and I could give it a go?

Anyway, the museum detective website has useful tips on podcasting and many links. Joanna Cobley spoke about this and I have blogged about it at my conference notes. Worth checking out.

5 comments:

Lynda Kelly said...

Also found a link to museum podcasts directory, seems a similar site to the museum blogs site.

Lynda Kelly said...

Oh no! While surfing around have found yet another Web 2.0 thing (I think? I haven't come across it before) It's called a swicki, which according to their website is a cross between a wiki and a search engine. I'm going to give it a go!!

mel said...

Good tips on how to do podcasts at museum detective. Has any research been done here with the Australian Museum audience about potential interest in podcasts? I am very interested in trying it out, coming from an audio background myself.

Kirsty Beilharz said...

Podcasting is now used widely by Universities, even, in some cases, as a substitute for face-to-face lecturing. In the USA, e.g. at Duke University, first-year students were given free iPods if they enrolled in a Podcast course and allowed to keep them if they passed! At Sydney University, we just use it as an archive and dissemination method but its versatility includes being ale to cover a variety of media.

Lynda Kelly said...

We haven't done any podcasting at the Museum yet, except for one when launching a study we did on audieces with disabilities. Jerry and I will be doing some experimentation with this in June as part of the NLA project and I'm hoping Mel might be able to be involved.

Mel, I also thought we could record your seminar and the discussion and see whether we can then upload to the blog or probably better still, our wiki.